Janmashtami is celebrated each year with great fervour and millions of Lord Krishna’s devotees observe day-long fast to attain blessings. The Hindu festival, which falls on September 2this year, marks the birth of Lord Krishna who was born at midnight on the eighth day or 'Ashtami' of the holy month, Shravana, accordign to the Hindu calendar. To observe Krishna's birthday, the devotees go on a ritualistic fast for the holy occasion eating only once a day before Janmashtami.On Janmashtami, Hindus believe that Lord Krishna's favourite dishes included cereals, fruits, dry fruits, sweets, drinks, namkeen and pickles in quantities of eight under each category. Lord Krishna is also portrayed as an avid food lover. People growing up with Cartoon network are familiar with the picture of the adorable, mischievous god breaking into the kitchen.
Also Read | Curry Leaves Benefits: Use kadi patta for health and flawless skinDos and don'ts for Janmashtami fasting:On the fasting day, consumption of grains are avoided. Observers take a meal called Phallar which comprises of fruits, milk and water.
Also Read | Janmashtami 2018 celebrations: What is Chappan Bhog?
These are some of Lord Krishna's favourite traditional Janmashtami Food recipes you can make at home to make his birthday all the more exciting:
Coconut barfi recipe
Ingredients for Coconut barfi recipe
Total time:45 minutes Prep time:20 minutes Cook:25 minutes
I cup grated coconut
½ cup grated khoya or khoa
1,2 tbsp ghee
1 cup milk
½ cup sugar
½ cup powdered cardamom
How to make coconut barfi recipe
1. In a microwave at 60 per cent power add grated coconut, sugar, cardamom powder and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the mixture for about 10-15 minutes till the mixture is thick.
2. Now add the grated dried khoya to the mixture for about five minutes. Keep it stirring! Now add the1/2 tablespoon ghee to the mixture and mix again.
3. To prevent the barfi from sticking, grease a thali with little ghee and spread the mixture on it. Allow the mixture to cool. Once done, cut it into your desired shapes and you can also garnish it saffron or garnish the burfi with the silver vark.
Recipe for milk cookies
Ingredients for Milk cookies
8-10 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp baking powder
½ cup condensed milk
3-4 cup powdered sugar
11/4 cup melted butter
3 cup all-purpose flour
How to make milk cookies
1. To get the smooth texture, sieve the flour and the baking powder. Mix it with milk powder and keep aside.
2. In a deep-bottomed bowl add butter and powdered sugar mix well. Then to this mixture add the condensed milk and mix again.
3. Add the flour to the condensed milk and knead it to get the dough, knead it well. Refrigerate the dough for about 20 minutes.
4. Heat the microwave to 160 degree Celsius. Remove the dough and shape it into desired cookie shape.
5. Brush butter in a baking tray and place the prepared cookie to the heated microwave.
6. Bake for about half an hour but make sure to leave some space apart to prevent the cookies from sticking. Serve hot!