An American terrorist of Pakistani origin, David Coleman Headley on Monday deposed before Mumbai court between 7AM to 12:30 PM through video conferencing after being made an approver in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case.
According to Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam, “This is for the first time in the Indian legal history that a ‘foreign terrorist’ will appear before an Indian court and testify.”
On Monday, it was revealed that he has confessed that 2008 Mumbai terror attacks were masterminded by Pakistan's terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and also had approval of Pakistan's Inter-Service Intelligence (ISI).
Headley gave a broader aspect of criminal conspiracy and who all were involved in the attacks which had left 166 dead and 309 others injured in the dastardly attacks.
According to government sources, India is likely to confront Pakistan with the evidences provided by David Headley. India is mulling on sending a fresh dossier to Pakistan to nail the 26/11 masterminds. The evidences being given by Headley is admissible in Indian court and Pakistan can no longer say that India is short of evidences.
"As this evidence is not only more important than a evidence taken under section 164 CRPC but this is the terrorist approvers evidence which will corroborate the circumstantial evidences. Government sources say that it is time Pakistan stops being defiant and stop their sham investigation and be honest in booking the plotters of 26/11."
What he told Mumbai court?
- Changed my name from Dawood Gilani to David Headley in 2006 so I could enter India,set up business
- All details except place of birth,date of birth,mother's nationality,passport number incorrect in visa application
- Sajid Mir (LeT) wanted me to set up some business or office in India
- Knew of LeT's objective before first visit to India
- I was a true follower of Lashkar
- 1st attempt was made in Sept 2008 but boat hit rocks in the ocean, weapons &explosives lost but those on board survived
- 2nd attempt to attack Mumbai made in October 2008; those involved in 1st attempt were involved in this as well, but attack failed
- 3rd and final attack on Mumbai was successful (26/11)
David Headley has been asked 40 questions so far in connection to 26/11 attacks.
The court had on December 10, 2015, made Headly an approver and directed him to depose before the court on February 8 after he told Special Judge GA Sanap that he was “ready to depose” if granted pardon.
Presently, the court is trying the case against key LeT operative Abu Jundal.
Who is David Headley ?
Born Daood Sayed Gilani on 30 June 1960, he is a spy who conspired with the Lashkar-e-Taiba Islamist organization and Pakistani intelligence officers in plotting the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
He is accused of He made periodic trips to Pakistan for Lashkar training while simultaneously working as an informant for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, but this is disputed.
Under the direction of Lashkar chiefs, Headley performed five spying missions in Mumbai to scout targets for the attacks, which killed 168 people.
He performed a similar mission in Copenhagen to help plan an attack against the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, which had published cartoons of Muhammad. He was arrested at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago while on his way to Pakistan in October 2009.
Earlier, what he told NIA?
- LeT’s every action is the result of permission from terror group’s founder, Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, who also had “full knowledge” of the Mumbai attacks.
- ISI was also involved in the Mumbai attacks.The money used by Headley for conducting surveillance activities in Mumbai was provided by one “Major Iqbal” of the ISI.
- When Lakhvi was arrested in the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks, then ISI chief Lt Gen Shuja Pasha visited Lakhvi in jail to understand the conspiracy behind the attacks.
- The original plan was to attack only the Taj Hotel in Mumbai, but after March 2008, the group decided to carry out multiple attacks via sea route.
- LeT had formed a “naval wing” under an operative named Abu Yaqoob that “will be potentially used against India”.
- He identified the voices of those giving instructions to the attackers. He identified these people as Sajid Majeed, Abu Al Qama and Abu Qahafa.
- He had conducted surveillance of several places including the residence of the Vice President, India Gate, Paharganj near the New Delhi railway station, the CBI office and the office of the Israeli airline El Al in Mumbai.