>>    >>    >>   Kapil appeals HC in order to challenge BMC notice razing illegal structure

Kapil appeals HC in order to challenge BMC notice razing illegal structure

Standup comedian Kapil Sharma has appealed the Bombay High Court in order to challenge a notice issued by BMC directing razing of an illegal structure apparently his construction at his accommodation in suburban Goregaon.


By   |  Updated On : October 17, 2016 05:25 PM
Kapil appeals HC in order to challenge BMC notice

Kapil appeals HC in order to challenge BMC notice

Mumbai :  

Standup comedian Kapil Sharma has appealed the Bombay High Court in order to challenge a notice issued by BMC directing razing of an illegal structure apparently his construction at his accommodation in suburban Goregaon.

On April 28, in year 2016, the civic body issued notice to Sharma under section 351 of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act, claiming that certain constructions in the 18-storey residential building 'DLH Enclave' in Goregaon, in which the actor has a flat, were illegal and hence will have to be razed down.

Sharma, in his petition, claimed that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) notice was "bad in law" and issued with "malafide intentions".

The actor had kicked up a controversy last month by alleging that he had been asked to pay a bribe of Rs 5 lakh byan official of BMC which, in turn, claimed that the actor had flouted norms not only in his Versova office building but also at his apartment in suburban Goregaon.

"In March and April 2010, the civic body issued commencement certificate to the developer granting permission to construct the 18 floors. On November 6, 2013, the corporation issued Full Occupation Certificate to the building," Sharma said in his petition.

However, on November 14, 2014, BMC's assistant engineer from Building and Factory department issued notice to Kapil, claiming that he had made some illegal constructions in his flat in the building, and sought his reply. Kapil, in his reply to the BMC, said no unauthorised construction was carried out at his flat in the building.

The civic body on December 1, 2014, however, replied refusing to accept the actor's clarification. Sharma then filed an application in Dindoshi sessions court against the notice.

On December 28, 2014, the sessions court granted interim relief and directed the civic body not to initiate any action pending hearing of the application.

"Despite the sessions court order, the corporation issued another notice on April 28 in year 2016 directing razing of the building," Sharma said in his petition.

Apart from Sharma, the BMC had issued notices to several other flat owners, including actor Irrfan Khan, for allegedly carrying out illegal construction in their flats. Sharma, in his petition, sought the notice to be set aside and direction to be issued to the corporation not to act upon the notice pending hearing of this petition.

The petition is likely to come up for hearing in due course of time before a division bench of Justices Ranjit More and Anuja Prabhudessai.

First Published: Monday, October 17, 2016 05:10 PM

POPULAR TAGS: Kapil Sharma, Bmc,


For latest india news on mobile, download News Nation Android app, Windows app and Iphone app. Also like News Nation's official Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Google Plus to stay tuned to latest news.


MORE FROM NEWS NATION