The central government has banned over the counter exchange of old notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 from Friday midnight. However to aid citizens to make necessary payments through cash transaction, the government has permitted various exemptions for certain transactions and activities wherein payment could be made only through old Rs. 500 notes.
All these places as listed below will allow usage of Rs 500 notes till the midnight of 15 December 2016.
1) Payments towards pre paid mobile top-up to a limit of Rs. 500 per top-up.
2) Purchase from Consumer Cooperative Stores will be limited to Rs. 5000 at a time.
3) Payment of fees in Central or State Government colleges.
4) Foreign citizens will be permitted to exchange foreign currency up to Rs. 5000 per week. Necessary entry to this effect will be made in their passports.
5) Payment of current and arrear dues to utilities will be limited to only water and electricity. This facility will continue to be available only for individuals and households.
6) It has been decided that toll payment at toll plazas to be made through old Rs. 500 notes from 3.12.2016 to 15.12.2016.
7) Payment of School fees up to Rs. 2000 per student in Central Government, State Government, Municipality and local body schools.
8) Government hospitals
9) Railway tickets
10) Public transport
11) Airline tickets at airports
12) Milk booths
14) Petrol pumps
15) Metro rail tickets
16) Medicine prescribed by a doctor
17) LPG gas cylinders
18) Railway catering
19) Power and water bills
20) Entry tickets of ASI monument
21) Consumer cooperative stores
22) Taxes and penalties to government bodies Court fees
23) Seeds at state-owned outlets
First Published: Friday, November 25, 2016 11:56 AM