It’s official. The Reserve Bank of India has announced that the new Rs 200 notes will be launched on Friday, August 24. Rs 200 note has been introduced for the first time in history and it also happens to be the fourth new note to be announced since November 2016 when Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a ban on Rs 1000 and Rs 500 currency notes in a move aimed at weeding out black money from the country.
Here are 10 features of the new ‘bright yellow’ Rs 200 note:
1. The size of the new Rs 200 note is 66mm x 146mm
2. The new notes bears a motif of the Sanchi Stupa monument that depicts India’s cultural heritage and also has the Ashoka Pillar emblem.
3. The base colour of the new Rs 200 note is bright yellow.
4. A portrait of Mahatma Gandhi can be seen in the centre of the note and Rs 200 is inscribed in colour-changing link.
5. The security threat has inscriptions ‘Bharat’ and RBI. When the note is tilted, the colour of the thread changes from green to blue.
6. The Mahatma Gandhi portrait and Ashoka Pillar emblem are raised for the visually-impaired.
7. The new Rs 200 note will have a logo of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Swachh Bharat’ campaign.