Smoking kills and sometimes instantaneously: Man dies as his clothes catch fire while taking ‘beedi’ puff

Updated On : 02 Oct , 2017 , 10:18 PM
Man dies as his clothes catch fire while taking ‘beedi’ puff (File Photo)
Man dies as his clothes catch fire while taking ‘beedi’ puff (File Photo)
New Delhi:

A 72-year-old man died in southeast Delhi’s Tughlakabad after his clothes caught fire while he was smoking on Monday.

Jaichand Bidhuri, a property dealer by profession, was charred to death while taking puff of a ‘beedi’ at the ground floor of his home.

When smoke began emanating from his room, the family members rushed to the spot to see him but the door was locked from inside, the police said.

Bidhuri had sustained severe burn injuries by the time the door was broken, they added.

Pouring water was of no help as doctors at a nearby hospital declared him brought dead, they added.

Police suspect his clothes caught fire while he was smoking.

Bidhuri’s wife told police that she had handed him some beedis and matches before the incident and he was alone on the ground floor of the house.

(With PTI inputs)

ALSO READ: Smokers with HIV more at risk of lung cancer than AIDS, says study

First Published : Monday, October 02, 2017 10:13 PM
Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and iOS.