Gangster Abu Salem has been sentenced to life imprisonment by the TADA court in connection with 1993 Mumbai blast case. Over 250 people were killed in the incident. The special court awarded life sentence to Karimullah Khan and 10 years imprisonment to Riyaz Siddiqui.
Apart from this incident, gangster Abu Salem was also in headlines for his love affair with Monica Bedi. It is believed that Abu had married Monica in Los Angeles in November, 2000.
Here’re 8 facts about Abu Salem-Monica Bedi relationship:
- In 1998, Monica Bedi came in contact with Abu Salem over the phone for the first time.
- Salem fall in love with Monica and wanted to marry her and take her with him to United States. But, before that he wanted her to reach on top list of Bollywood actress.
- Reportedly, Abu used his influence over producers and pressurized them to give Monica a role in films like Jaanam Samjha Karo and Jodi No 1.
- Monica and Abu were serious about each other and wanted to start new life together. But in an interview, she admits that Abu tried really hard to change but his past was something which he couldn’t erase
- Monica lied to her family about her relationship with Abu. She said that her boyfriend was from America and his name is Sanjay and he was a show organiser.
- Monica was also a contestant in the second season of Bigg Boss but for a short period of time.
- Later, Abu Salem married a Mumbra-based woman, to which Monica said, "I'm happy for him and I wish him all the best in life. I still respect our relationship, but he's moved on and so have I’’.
- Their relationship came to an end on July 4, 2007 after she served the sentence with Salem in many countries.