Five people including four relatives of a leading hotelier of Odisha were charred to death after a fire broke out at his residence in Bhubaneswar’s Budeshwari Colony on Thursday.
Deputy fire officer Ramesh Chandra Majhi said, “Six people were rescued from the house with critical burn injuries who were later declared dead by doctors.”
Bhubaneswar Police said, “Five people were killed in the fire incident including businessman Satpal Singh's son and three minors.”
Police said other members of the family were safe as they were staying on the ground and first floor.
The deceased have been identified as Gagan Pal Singh (40), Bhavna Singh (38), Shoba Singh (15), Rubir Singh (8) and Khusi Das (15).
The official added that Singh’s neighbours informed fire department about Satpal’s house in fire around 5:15 am.
According to police Singh along with five others were pulled out in unconscious state from the second and third floor of the three storeyed building. The six were rushed to a hospital where doctors declared five inlcuding their household helper brought dead.
Police said, three rooms on the second floor of the three-storeyed building was gutted in the fire. The fire officials had to face tough time dousing off the fire due to the presence of wooden household articles.
Police and fire officials are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the the fire.
However, a senior fire official talking to the media said, “We suspect the fire originated after a spark caused due to short circuit in the AC.”
A Satpal’s neighbour told the media that they heard Satpal and his family members shouting for help around 5am and heavy smoke was coming out from their house. They told the media that Satpal Singh owned Pal Heights, a renowned hotels of Odisha.
He further added that four fire-tender machines were engaged to douse and rescue people trapped in the house. Fire-officials managed to rescue few of people staying in the house after break opening the windows.