The no-confidence motion moved by the opposition against the Narendra Modi-led NDA government was rejected on Friday with a total of 325 MPs in the Lok Sabha voting ‘No’ and 126 voting ‘Yes’ among the 451 MPs present in the House.
Here are the Top takings from the speech:
- PM Modi said Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu and TDP chief, who moved the no-confidence motion that the government is working and supporting the development of the state. "I want to tell the people of Andhra Pradesh that we will keep working for them. We will do everything possible for the development of AP," Modi said.
- "Atal Ji created 3 states- Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand. These states are now prospering. Congress divided Andhra Pradesh and their conduct then was shameful. It was done peacefully." Modi added.
- The Congress and other parties were raising the issue of lynching and PM Modi in his speech assured stern action against the rising violence. "Any instance of violence brings shame to the nation. I will once again urge the state governments to punish those who indulge in violence," he said.
- During the no-confidence motion debate, the Congress president Rahul Gandhi had earlier in the day accused the government of ‘lying’ to the nation on the issue of Rafale deal and had termed PM a ‘bhaagidaar’ (collaborator) in cases of alleged corruption and not a ‘chaukidaar’ (guard) to which PM Modi replied, "Due to one careless allegation in the House on Rafale, both nations had to release statements. We should not indulge in such childish behaviour."
- "In the morning, the voting was not over, the debate was also not over one member comes running to me saying- Utho Utho Utho...What is his hurry to come to power? Let me tell this member it is the people who elected us. That is how we have come here," said PM Modi citing Rahul Gandhi’s hug with him.
- "We are here because we have the blessings of 125 crore Indians. We are not here for selfish interests," added Modi.
- "You are a 'naamdaar' (known by name) and I am 'kaamdar' (known by work). I cannot dare see you eye-to-eye," said PM Modi countering Rahul Gandhi’s statement that PM Modi could not see him eye-to-eye.
- “You called the surgical strike a Jumla Strike. You can abuse me as much as you want but stop insulting the jawans of India. I will not tolerate this insult to our forces," said the prime minister while talking about the surgical strike adding that the Congress asking for proof was an insult to the armed forces.
- "I want to tell you about the NPA problem. Much before Internet Banking, Congress Party invented Phone Banking and this caused the NPA mess. A phone call would get loans for their cronies and the nation suffered." The Congress had earlier accused that NPAs rose by 230 per cent under the Modi government and loans rose by 317 per cent,” said PM Modi on the issue of bad loans and non-performing assets (NPA).
"NDA has the confidence of the Lok Sabha and the 125 crore people of India. I thank all the parties that have supported us in the vote today. Our efforts to transform India and fulfil the dreams of our youth continue. Jai Hind!" PM Modi tweeted after defeating the no-confidence motion with 325 MPs in the Lok Sabha voting ‘No’ and 126 voting ‘Yes’ among the 451 MPs present in the House
NDA has the confidence of the Lok Sabha and the 125 crore people of India.
I thank all the parties that have supported us in the vote today. Our efforts to transform India and fulfil the dreams of our youth continue. Jai Hind!— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 20, 2018