The Indian Government on Thursday denied reports of China resuming its activities in Doklam, saying the “vicinity and the status quo” prevailed in the disputed area.
Earlier, a top US lawmaker had claimed that the dragon has quietly resumed its activities in the disputed Doklam area and India was hesitating to dissuade it.
“Although both countries back down, China has quietly resumed its activities in Doklam and neither Bhutan nor India has sought to dissuade it. China’s activities in the Himalayas remind me of its south China Sea policies,” Congresswoman Ann Wagner said while Comparing China’s actions in the Himalayan region with its manoeuvres in the disputed South China Sea.
However, junior External Affairs Minister VK Singh dismissed the claims of the US Congresswoman and claimed that there had been no new developments at the site of the face-off with China in Doklam and its vicinity, and status quo prevailed in the area.
"Since the disengagement of Indian and Chinese border personnel in the Doklam area on August 28, 2017, there have been no new developments at the faceoff site and its vicinity. The status quo prevails in this area," Singh told Rajya Sabha.
Later in the day, Ministry of External Affairs spokesman Raveesh Kumar also repeated Singh's comments and rebutted the claims of China’s return to Doklam.