Indian jawans beheaded by Pak army: Will respond at time and place of our choice, says Vice Chief of Army Staff

Updated On : 02 May , 2017 , 11:04 PM
Indian Army (file photo)
Indian Army (file photo)
New Delhi:

Vice Chief of Army Staff Sarath Chand on Tuesday said that Pakistan will have to face the consequences of mutilating bodies of two Indian soldiers and the army will respond to the dastardly act at a time and place of its choosing.

Sarath Chand also said that killing of the two soldiers and beheading them showed frustration of Pakistan military and asserted that it will never be able to justify the action.

Replying to questions on possible retaliation by the Indian Army over the Pakistani action. "I do not want to say what we will do. Instead of speaking, we will focus on our action at a time and place of our choosing," 

"They (Pakistani army) have said it was not done by their forces. Then who did it. Their people came to our area and did it. They will have to take responsibility and face consequences for it," Chand said.

ALSO READ: General Bipin Rawat visits frontier areas in north Kashmir; interacts with troops deployed along LoC 

Earlier in the day, the Indian Army told the Pakistani military that mutilating bodies of the two soldiers was a "dastardly and inhuman act" which called for a response and unequivocal condemnation.

India's Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) Lt Gen A K Bhatt spoke to his Pakistan counterpart and expressed "grave concern" about the killing and beheading of the two soldiers in the Krishna Ghati sector of Poonch in Jammu and Kashmir.

"The DGMO of the Indian army conveyed that such a dastardly and inhuman act is beyond any norms of civility and merits unequivocal condemnation and response," the army said in a statement.

The DGMO also conveyed to his Pakistani counterpart that "full fire" support was provided by the Pakistani Army post located in the vicinity of the incident site.

The Indian Army has already vowed an "appropriate" response to the "despicable act". The Pakistan army has denied that it was involved in the attack.

Defence Minister Arun Jaitley had said Monday that the "sacrifice (of the two killed) will not go in vain" and the Indian armed forces will react "appropriately" to the "inhuman act" of the Pakistani troops.

"This is a reprehensible and an inhuman act. Such attacks don't even take place during war, let alone during peace time. Bodies of soldiers being mutilated is an extreme form of barbaric act," the defence minister said.

The soldiers killed were Naib Subedar Paramjeet Singh and BSF Head Constable Prem Sagar. 

(With PTI Inputs)

First Published : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 10:44 PM

POPULAR TAGS:

Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and iOS.