The issue of I-T raids on Karnataka minister DK Shivakumar echoed in Parliament on the 14th day of Monsoon session which resulted in the adjournment of Lok Sabha till 2 PM. The opposition Congress MP protested the raids against Shivakumar who was hosting 44 Gujarat Congress MLAs.
Before the adjournment, Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari informed the house that the government has initiated action on the alleged corruption of 1.18 million US dollar the officials of the NHAI by an American firm.
Rajya Sabha which could not function on Wednesday following uproar over Karnataka raids also witnessed the heated debate over Doklam standoff. the opposition questioned govt's foreign policy and asked if there is any window open to resolving the border dispute with China.
Here are the highlights of the day:
Listen to full speech by Sushma Swaraj in Rajya Sabha here:
#6:30 PM: EAM Sushma Swaraj answers Opposition queries on Russia, China, Pakistan and relations with other nations
Statement On China:
- We will continue to engage Chinese side on boundary issue
- Selectively Chinese side quoted Nehru's letter that clearly alignment on boundary
-Boundary yet not finalized on Sikkim border
-Both sides may based on historical treaty of 89. Initial settlement would be through historical treaty by consultation
-There is mutual agreement between India-China on Sikkim boundary
-Trijunction boundary will be finalized by all concerned party
-Our relation with China in new focus after Doklam issue
- The question by Opposition over India's inability to join CPEC (By Congress leader Rajeev Shukla) is baseless as CPEC passes through PoK, an integral part of India: EAM (Congress party says it was MP Shukla's personal opinion)
India global leader, not a follower:
- PM Modi goes to G20 and talks of black money, next time he initiates talks on terrorism, establishes solar alliance in Paris summit: EAM
- India not a junior strategic partner of US, India took an immediate stand against the US on climate change statement: EAM
On India-West Asia relations
-Strong relations with Saudi, Yemen Govt made evacuation of 4000 Indians, 2000 foreigners possible: EAM
- We could evacuate Indians and foreigners from Yemen because we could persuade Saudi King to halt firing for some time, not an easy feat; EAM
- India's relations with West Asian countries is at all time high: Swaraj
- Opposition was worried that our relations with West Asia will evaporate after Modi Govt comes to power, but reverse has come true: EAM
On India-Palestine relations
-Palestine is happy that we are strengthening our relations with Israel so that we can act as mediator for our old ally: Swaraj
-I had JCM with Palestinian leaders, President visited Palestine, PM Modi visited Israel first because it was 25th anniversary of foreign relations with Israel: EAM
-Israel may be our ally but we will never let down the Palestinian cause: Sushma Swaraj in RS
On International support
-Russia is against terrorism, they will not support Pakistan, so is US: EAM
On US Visas:
-No drop in visa sanctions as compared to UPA Govt, numbers have gone up under Modi Govt: EAM
-Important to increase economic strength over armed strength, PM Modi looking at inclusive growth: EAM
-Diplomatic channels necessary for conflict resolution, not war: Sushma Swaraj to Ramgopal Yadav
- It is shameful that Indian Opposition leader chose to ask Chinese ambassador on Dokalam rather than Indian admin
-We shared the Pakistan road map in advance, our relations were good until Burhan Wani was declared a martyr in Pakistan
- The encroachments took place during UPA regime, we have reclaimed those posts
-You are talking about 2-3 blockades.. do you remember the blockade during the time of Rajiv Gandhi?
-For 17 years no PM entered Nepal, PM Modi visited twice, which government established better ties with Nepal?
-India is first to help neighbour/friend nations: Swaraj
# We have already spoken on the border issue with China, there’s no need to stall proceedings in the Lok Sabha, says Sushma Swaraj.
# Give us an idea? Is there a window open so that this standoff can be resolved?: Anand Sharma, Congress
# Heated debate in Rajya Sabha over Doklam standoff. Opposition questions govt's policy.
# Lok Sabha passes the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
# Sushma Swaraj to give a statement on DokLam standoff in Parliament.
# Lok Sabha adjourned till 2 PM.
# Arun Jaitley addresses Parliament on the banking regulation bill, says today India has a power surplus and the steel sector constitutes the country’s biggest chunk of NPAs
# Lower House begins discussion on Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017 as BJP leaders laud the government’s efforts to introduce the amendment.
# Govt has started the process to probe alleged $ 1.18 million bribery to NHAI officials by an American firm: Nitin Gadkari informs Lok Sabha.