Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Friday launched a scathing attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the no-confidence motion debate in the Lok Sabha, saying "jumla strike" was the ruling party's biggest political weapon of the 21st century.
Referring to Modi’s 2014 poll promise of bringing back black money and depositing Rs 15 lakh in the bank accounts of every Indian, Gandhi said that the prime minister did nothing in the four years but gave “jumlas”.
The Congress president accused the prime minister of working for select businessmen and ignoring the poor and marginalised section of the country. He, however, ended his speech on a happy note and thanked the Rashtriya Swaymsevak Sangh (RSS) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for teaching him to be a "real Indian and Hindu", and hugged Modi.
Here are the top 10 quotes of Rahul Gandhi’s speech:
1. On Job creation: Two crore jobs per year was promised by PM Modi. But only four lakh jobs per year were created according to the Labour Bureau Data. While China creates 50 thousand jobs every day, the Indian Government creates only 400 jobs in 24 hours.
2. On Rafale deal: Everybody understands there is a relationship between PM and some rich businessmen. One of them has benefited to the tune of ₹45000 crore in Rafale deal. PM must explain why this contract was taken away from HAL and youth of Karnataka. A businessman, who has not built a single airplane in his life and has a debt of ₹35000 crore, was given the Rafale deal because of his relationship with PM.
3. PM works for Riches not poor: After PM waived loans of rich businessmen, the finance minister said he will not waive farmers' loans. PM wants to put money into rich businessmen's pockets while the poor suffer. There are a few rich businessmen who are in collusion with PM Modi, and PM Modi works only for them, not for the country's poor.
4. Modi no 'Chowkidar' but 'Bhagidar': I have told the truth about the prime minister, and now he can't even meet my eye. He is not a 'chowkidar', he is a 'bhagidar'.
5. On ‘agendaless’ summit with Chinese president: After PM Modi's rendezvous with the Chinese president, China sent its troops in Doklam. After a few days, PM went to China for an agenda-less meeting. The truth is he went there with China's agenda.
6. MSP hike another ‘jumla’: MSP was another jumla. PM allocated only ₹10,000 crore towards MSP for the entire country, while the Karnataka government had allocated ₹34,000 crore in a single state.
7. Dent to India’s reputation: The government was not doing anything for women of the country. For the first time in history, India's reputation is the worst in the world and this is because the Modi government is unable to protect women.
8. On atrocities against Dalits: It is PM's duty to condemn atrocities, but he doesn't. Whenever an oppressed is attacked, it is an attack on Dr Ambedkar, Constitution, People of India and this house.
9. BJP's weapon is 'jumla strike': BJP has given the country nothing but the Jumlas (gimmicks). 'Jumla strike' is the BJP’s 21st-century political weapon. PM and President of BJP are different types of politicians. The difference between them & all of us is, we are okay to lose power, but they can't afford to lose power. If they do, other processes will begin. This fear is making them angry.
10. And in the end a vote of thanks to BJP, RSS: PM Modi, BJP and RSS have taught me what it means to be a Congress person, the meaning of being a real Indian, and what it means to be a real Hindu. For this, I thank them.