Rahul took the charge at a ceremony held at the lawns of the party's 24 Akbar Road headquarters in Delhi.
Some of the pointers from Rahul’s address:
- Congress is an ancient India. BJP would have you believe they are the oldest idea in the universe, as usual, this is not the truth. In India, there are two ideas that have clashed, the idea of self vs the other. BJP are soldiers fighting for self. Congress is guided by service of the community.
- It is with the deepest humility, that I accept this position (of Congress President) knowing that I will always be walking in the shadow of giants.
- We consider the BJP as our brothers and sisters, but we do not agree with them. They (BJP) crush voices but we allow them to speak, they defame we respect and defend.
- You have an example in front of you, once the fire breaks out it is difficult to douse it, that is what we are telling the people of BJP, that if you set the nation on fire it will be difficult to control. Today BJP has spread the fire of violence across the country.
- We are now being compelled to imagine that businesses can be built without harmony that only one man himself is the voice of reason. Expertise, experience, and knowledge can be cast aside for personal glory.
- Congress took India to the 21st century, but the PM, today, is taking us back to the medieval times.
- Many of us are disillusioned by politics of our time. Today, politics is devoid of kindness and truth.
- Politics belongs to the people, but today politics is not being used for people. It is not being used to uplift people, but to crush them.
- I want the Congress party to become an instrument for dialogue between all of us. From all corners of our great country. And our dialogue will always be led by love and affection.
- In the 13 years, I have served in politics, I have had the honour of listening and learning from all of you. Thank you for your lessons and advice. I'm humbled by all the people who have stayed here with me.