This is certainly shocking. Australian bodybuilder Meegan Hefford has died after excessive consumption of protein shakes, protein-rich foods and supplements.
Meegan a mother of two children was found lying unconscious in her apartment and was quickly taken to the hospital. She was declared brain dead by the hospital.
The 25 year old mother was competing as a bodybuilder since the year 2014. She had started working out more in the weeks just before her death.
Hefford was preparing herself for a bodybuilding competition next month and had started consuming a special restricted diet for the same.
It is being reported that doctors found out that the paramedic trainee was having a rare disorder, which was urea cycle disorder. This stops the body from breaking down the protein. Having this disorder can cause a lot of harm to the body. It can increase the ammonia levels in the bloodstream and lead to excessive fluid in the brain.
Doctors are said to have ruled the final cause of her death due to consumption of bodybuilding supplements other than the disorder.
Reports also say that Meegan was going to the gym twice every day in order to exercise. Her mother thought this was the reason she was feeling so lethargic. She was not aware of the fact that her daughter was having protein shakes until Meegan died. She is said to believe that her daughter brought the supplements online where they are easily available.