>>     >>     >>   Drinks served in copper mugs could be poisonous

Drinks served in copper mugs could be poisonous

According to a warning launched by Iowa's Alcoholic Beverages Division, copper and copper alloys can be poisonous when consumed.


  |  Updated On : August 06, 2017 11:57 AM
Drinks served in copper mugs could be poisonous (Source: PTI)

Drinks served in copper mugs could be poisonous (Source: PTI)

New Delhi :  

Having a drink in a copper mug might look aesthetically appealing, but it can also turn out to be fatal. According a to warning launched by Iowa's Alcoholic Beverages Division, copper and copper alloys can be poisonous when consumed.

The Food and Drug Administration's Moral Food Code prohibits copper from coming in direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0.

This serves as a bad news for fans of Moscow Mule, a popular cocktail typically consisting of vodka, ginger beer and lime juice and is often accompanied by a wedge of lime. The average Mule has a pH well below 6.0 and is considered unsafe for consumption.

Read more: Diabetes drug may be useful to halt Parkinson's progression

Experts say if the copper mug has a stainless steel liner inside, there is no risk.

First Published: Sunday, August 06, 2017 11:48 AM

POPULAR TAGS: Copper, Lifestyle,

Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and IOS.


NEXT STORY