The credibility of liquid nitrogen came into question after a Delhi businessman landed up in a hospital after consuming it. The 30-year-old man went to a Gurugram pub on April 13 and ordered a cocktail laced with liquid nitrogen. Within seconds after consuming the cocktail twice, he felt uneasiness and his stomach got swelled. The doctors had to remove a part of his stomach in order to save him. This life-threatening incident has raised several questions on its credibility.
But what liquid nitrogen actually is?
It is a colourless and odourless nitrogen, which is in a liquid state at extremely low temperature. It has a density of 0.807 g/ml at boiling point. It is produced with a process called fractional distillation, in which air is compressed and heated until the gas turns into a liquid state. It is used in making drinks and other things including ice-creams and deserts look attractive. It is one of the few chemical substances that can be transported from one place to the other.
It is advised that the liquid nitrogen should be consumed after the liquid evaporates from it. The amount of this particular nitrogen should not be more than the prescribed rules. It can lead to severe disasters if taken without liquid being evaporated. So, it is advised that one shouldn’t consume it without taking all precautionary measures.