In Pics | US Open 2017 women's title: Sloane Stephens defeats Madison Keys to win her first grand slam title
Updated On : 10 Sep 2017,12:01 PM
Sloane Stephens trashed Madison Keys in US Open 2017 on Saturday. She has won her first grand slam title, beating American Madison Keys 6-3, 6-0 in the final.She is also the first American female player outside the Williams family to win a Grand Slam title in the last 15 years.
Jennifer Capriati was the last US women's tennis player to win a major, besides the Williams sisters. She won the Australian Open in 2002.
Stephens will earn $3,700,000 for winning the US Open, nearly doubling her career prize money entering the tournament ($4,519,709). “I should just retire now,” Stephens says. “I told Maddy, I’m never going to be able to top this.”
Here are some interesting facts that you should know about her:
1. Fifth unseeded player to win US Open in the Open Era.
2. Stephens has won 5 WTA titles and 1 ITF title in her career.
3. She has taken USA to the finals of the Hopman Cup with John Isner.
4 She made it to the semis of the 2013 Australian Open and quarters at the 2013 Wimbledon Championships.
5. She is an active member of the US Fed Cup team.
6.Stephens became the lowest ranked player ( World No 83) to win the US Open Women's singles title in the Open Era
7. She made one of the most resounding comebacks in tennis history post injury, rising from 957 in the world to break into the top 20 ( Aug 2016- Aug 2017)