On this Earth Day lets take a pledge to save our planet from the grave dangers of environmental change. To globally educate people in the concepts of climate change and aware of its unprecedented threat to our planet.
This year its all about enviromental and climate literacy that will act as a engine for creating green voters and advancing environmental and climate laws.
“Climate change takes place because of anthropogenic activities, particularly due to the exploitation of natural resources. This produces more greenhouse gases and has a great impact on the planet. Every person is equally responsible and we must collectively address this issue.", said Dr Saleem Khan, a climate change scientist who works closely with the academia, governments and non-governments.
“Climate change also creates opportunities in terms of research and innovation, new technology, attitudinal and behavioural changes.”, he aaded.
We need to comprehend that even small baby steps can lead to big changes. Things you could do on this 47th Earth Day:
- Gather members of your community and launch Teach-in programs to educate them ragarding the reaons leading to climate change.
- Launch cleaniness drives across your city, inovlve as many people as you can in the process and make your city clean and green.
- Plant a tree, nurture it like the Earth has been nurturing you.
- Log on to NASA’s 'Adopt the Planet' website and virtually adopt a piece of Earth as seen from space, be its guardian and you will even recieve an adoption certificate.
- Take a higher road by using renewable energy sources such as wind and solar, an ideal way to minimise use of fossil fuel. Now that the Government has initiated the net-metering system, you have all the reasons to fix solar panels at your home.
- Practise minimalism, go paperless, walk or take public transport to work, and carry reusable bottles are some of the tasks you can try if you wish to do your bit for the planet.
So be the torchbearer of your planet and make it a better place to live in.