India on Thursday thrashed Bangladesh in the semifinals of the Champions Trophy by 9 wickets. In the process, the defending champions also set up a clash with arch-rivals Pakistan in the final on Sunday. India's fascinating win has earned plaudits from all corners. Let us look at five reasons responsible for the gigantic victory.
1. Kohli and Sharma's formidable partnership helped India lay the ideal foundation for a strong chase.
2. Rohit Sharma took responsibility and played in a matured fashion to occupy the crease and eventually register his 11th ODi century for the team's winning cause. His opening half-century stand with Shikhar Dhawan provided the perfect boost to the Indian innings.
3. Virat Kohli once again provided the impetus in the middle order. Kohli looked comfortable right from the start and kept the scoreboard ticking with a flurry of boundaries. Got to 8000 ODI runs in just 175 innings and became the quickest batsman in this format to reach the milestone.
4. Pacers made crucial breakthrough to derail the Bangladesh innings upfront, Bhuvi and Bumrah bowled well at the death to choke the runs in the fag end of the game and turn the momentum towards India at the half way mark
5. Spinners, especially Kedar Jadhav and Ravindra Jadeja dented the Bangladesh innings when they seemed to be going strong in the middle overs.They bowled economical spells apart from sharing 3 wickets between them to put brakes on their opponents' score.