The 2017 ICC Champions Trophy is scheduled to take place from June 1 to June 18 in England and Wales. The multination tournament shall feature the top eight ODI teams in international cricket. The top eight ODI playing nations qualified on the basis of the ICC rankings as on 30 September 2015. India is the defending champions of the tournament, as they beat hosts England in the last edition held in 2013.
The ICC Champions Trophy is a multination tournament which features the top one-day cricket teams of the world battling it out for the coveted title.The Champions Trophy is the second biggest limited overs tournament organised by ICC after the 50-over World Cup. The Champions Trophy is a limited overs tournament played out in the 50 over format. The tournament is hailed as the 'Mini World Cup' in the international cricketing circles.
Here is some interesting trivia about the Champions Trophy
1. Most Titles Won - Australia and India have won the tournament most number of times. The Aussies won the title in 2006 and 2009 while India annexed the trophy in 2002 and 2013.
2. Most Final Appearances without winning a title - England are the only team to have made the final twice without winning a title. The English side made it to the summit clash in 2004 and 2013.
3. Champions Trophy - South Africa's only multination ICC tournament
Champions Trophy is the only multination ICC tournament South Africa has ever won. South Africa won the inaugural edition of the tournament held in Kenya in 1998. South Africa have been unable to win the ICC World Cup or the T20 World Cup.
4. Kenya - Host to the First Edition of tournament in 1998
The first edition of the tournament was hosted by Kenya in 1998.
5. Sri Lanka is the only host to have won the Champions Trophy
The Island nation which hosted the 2002 edition of the tournament, shared the title with India after rain played spoilsport in the finals.
6. The first edition of the tournament hosted in Kenya was played out as a knockout event
7. Thirteen nations have qualified for the Champions Trophy at least once. Seven teams have competed in every finals tournament, six of which have won the title.
8. West Indies did not qualify for the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy
9. Champions Trophy is held once every four years
Up to 2006 the Champions Trophy was held every two years. The 2008 Champions Trophy which was supposed to be held in Pakistan moved to South Africa in 2009 due to security reasons. From then on it is held every four years like the World Cup.
10. Bangladesh shall be featuring in the ICC Champions Trophy for the first time since 2006