Reliance Industries Ltd chairman Mukesh Ambani on Friday launched an affordable 4G VoLTE feature phone at the company’s 40th annual general meeting (AGM) in Mumbai.
"Today Jio is going to reinvent the conventional feature phone," Mukesh Ambani, Chairman, RIL, said, adding "Let me introduce India ka smartphone."
Here are the top 20 quotes from Mukesh Ambani’s AGM speech:
1. The JioPhone will be available for user testing in beta from 15th August and for pre-booking from 24th August. From last quarter of 2017, all JioPhones will be made in India. We are targeting to have 5 million JioPhones a week.
2. But that’s not all. There is ONE MORE THING. You may want to know how much the JioPhone will cost. Today, I am delighted to announce that JioPhone will be available to all Indians for an effective price of – Rs 0.
3. If these users were to consume a similar quantity of data on other operator's network, they would spend Rs 4,000 – 5,000 per month. Jio will provide this at ONLY Rs 153 per month, that is one-thirtieth, 3% of the existing price.
4. Jio will give them access to UNLIMITED DATA on the JioPhone.
5. Starting 15th August this year, I am declaring DIGITAL FREEDOM for all feature phone users.
6. Today, Jio is going to reinvent the conventional feature phone. Let me introduce India ka Intelligent SmartPhone. On the JioPhone, voice will ALWAYS be free.
7. Now, Jio customers alone are consuming over 125 crore GB of data a month, including 165 crore hours high-speed video every month.
8. Jio users consistently make more than 250 crore minutes of voice and video calls every single day. We are grateful to @PMOIndia's Digital India,which allows benefits of technology to be passed on to Indian customers. In just 6 months of Jio's launch, data consumption in India went from 20 crore GB to 120 crore GB per month.
9. In the next 12 months, Jio services will cover 99% of our country's population. It took 25 years for our competitors to build 2G network. Jio will have created a larger 4G network in just 3 years.
10. Today, Jio has more than 100 million paying Jio Prime customers. Most have recharged on Jio's Rs 309 or higher plans. There are more than 50 crore feature phone users who have been left out of the digital revolution. This digital disempowerment and unfairness must end. Jio is committing to end it today. We shall achieve this in three ways – Connectivity, Data Affordability and Device Affordability.
11. Now, Jio customers alone are consuming over 125 crore GB of data a month, including 165 crore hours high-speed video every month making Jio the largest mobile video network.
12. In just 6 months of Jio's launch, data consumption in India went from 20 crore GB to 120 crore GB per month. Indeed, India has overtaken the US and China in mobile data usage.
13. We are grateful to PMO's Digital India, which allows benefits of technology to be passed on to Indian customers.
14. Jio users consistently make more than 250 crore minutes of voice and video calls every single day.
15. We enabled Jio users to make unlimited voice calls from anywhere to everywhere in India – absolutely free.
16. This was the fastest adoption of any technology service, anywhere in the world. Faster than Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype. Today Jio has over 125 million customers. We have proved all our sceptics wrong.
17. Jio has broken one world record after another. In less than 170 days, more than 100 million customers signed up for Jio's services. On an average, Jio added 7 customers per second every single day.
18. I want to dedicate these 40 years of achievements and records to our founder Chairman Shri Dhirubhai Ambani.
19.One thousand rupees invested in Reliance shares in 1977 is today worth Rs 16,54,503 – over 1,600 times more valuable. In simple terms, this means that your money has doubled every two and a half years over the past 40 years.
20. Our turnover has grown from 70 crores in 1977 to over 330,000 crores today – an increase of nearly 4,700 times. Our total assets have increased from 33 crores to over 700,000 crores and a multiple of over 20,000 times. Above all, market capitalization has multiplied from ten crores to over five lakh crores.