26 Coptic Christians killed as gunmen open fire on bus in Egypt

Updated On : 26 May , 2017 , 06:23 PM
26 Coptic Christians killed as gunmen open fire on bus in Egypt (Representational Image)
26 Coptic Christians killed as gunmen open fire on bus in Egypt (Representational Image)
Cairo:

At least 26 people, mostly children, were killed and 25 other injured when masked gunmen wearing army uniforms opened fire on a bus carrying Coptic Christians in central Egypt on Friday, the second major attack on the community in nearly two months.

The attack took place when the bus was heading to Anba Samuel monastery in the Minya Governorate, 250km south of Cairo.

The gunmen were riding in three 4x4 vehicles, twenty-six Christians were killed and 25 others injured the attack said the Ministry of Interior.
Sources and eyewitnesses said that most of the victims were children.

Reports said there had been between eight and 10 attackers who were wearing military uniforms. Security forces were searching for the attackers. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

ALSO READ: Islamic State claims attack on Egypt; 1 policeman killed, 3 injured

There have been a number of attacks on Copts in the country in recent months claimed by Islamic State (IS) militants.
Two suicide bombings targeting churches in Tanta and Alexandria on April 9 left at least 46 people dead.

In December, an attack on a Coptic church in Cairo killed 25 people. Coptic Christians, which make up about 10 per cent of Egypt's 91 million population, have faced persecution in Egypt, which has spiked since the toppling of Hosni Mubarak's regime in 2011.
E

gypt had imposed a nationwide three-month state of emergency after the April bombings, with the option to extend for another three months. 

First Published : Friday, May 26, 2017 06:10 PM
Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and iOS.