Las Vegas shooting: Islamic State takes responsibility, FBI denies

Updated On : 02 Oct , 2017 , 09:43 PM
Las Vegas
Las Vegas
New Delhi:

A gunman on Monday killed 58 people and wounded hundreds more when he opened fire on a country music concert in Las Vegas in the deadliest mass shooting in US history. Islamic State group claimed the responsibility for the attack through its propaganda agency. However, FBI denied the involvement of Islamic State in the attack.

According to Police, the gunman, a Nevada resident identified as Stephen Paddock, had been found dead after SWAT team responded to reports of multiple gunfire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay, a hotel-casino next to the concert venue.

"We believe the individual killed himself prior to our entry," Las Vegas Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told a news conference in the Nevada gambling hub.

At least eight rifles were recovered from the room that had been rented by the 64-year-old.

Concert-goers screamed and fled in panic as a steady stream of automatic gunfire rang out at the venue shortly after 10 pm local time, footage captured on smartphones showed. Lombardo told reporters that initial estimates had put the number of dead "at in excess of 50 individuals" while more than 200 had been injured.

(With PTI Inputs)

First Published : Monday, October 02, 2017 08:37 PM
Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and iOS.