>>     >>   Manchester attack: UK Police arrests 23-year-old suspect

Manchester attack: UK Police arrests 23-year-old suspect; death toll rises to 22

A suspected suicide bomb blast at Ariana Grande Music concert at Manchester killed at least 22 people and injured over 50 others on Monday night (Tuesday IST).


By   |  Updated On : May 23, 2017 08:45 PM
New Delhi :  

A suspected suicide bomb blast at Ariana Grande Music concert at Manchester killed at least 22 people and injured over 50 others on Monday night (Tuesday IST). 

The British media initially reported the multiple explosion, now reports suggest that it was a terrorist attack in form of a suicide bomber.

The attack comes barely two months after a terrorist suspect mowed down pedestrians on the bridge next to British Parliament and stabbed a police officer before being shot dead by Scotland Yard officers. 

Here are the updates:

#4:26 PM: UK police say 23-year-old man arrested over Manchester attack.

#4:15 PM: Manchester's Arndale shopping center evacuated, hundreds seen running in panic: UK media

#4:14 PM: UK police believe they know identity of Manchester attacker but at this stage of investigation we can't confirm his name: PM May

#11:45 AM: Death toll in Manchester attack rises to 22, police say lone attacker died at venue: Reuters

#10:09 AM: ISIS claims responsibility for the attack on the Manchester Arena: Reports

#9:35 AM: Local Gurudwaras offer shelter to blast victims, stranded survivors

#9:30 AM: Shocked to hear of Manchester blast; condolences to families of deceased & prayers for injured: President Pranab Mukherjee

India stands by government and people of United Kingdom in this hour of distress: President Pranab Mukherjee 

#8:40 AM: Singer Ariana Grande has Tweeted that she is 'broken' by the incident. Her tweet indicates that she feels guilty for the incident, an act her Twitter fans have been advising her against, 'broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words. (sic).'

#7:50 AM: Manchester Police say they are working with national police, intelligence agencies to investigate concert explosion

#7:30 AM: British PM May condemns the attack 

British Prime Minister Theresa May today condemned the “appalling terrorist attack” at a pop concert in Manchester that killed 19 people and injured more than 50. “We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack,” May said in a statement. 

#7:20 AM: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday condemned the terrorist attack. He tweeted: "Pained by the attack in Manchester. We strongly condemn it. Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with the injured."

#6:55 AM: British Police has carried out a controlled explosion near the Manchester Arena venue, but later said the item was only abandoned clothing. “There will be a controlled explosion in Cathedral Gardens shortly if you hearing anything don’t be concerned,” police said on Twitter, referring to a small park opposite the concert venue. But a second tweet said: “Officers carrying out a precautionary controlled explosion in Cathedral Garden confirm that it was abandoned clothing, not a suspicious item”.

#6:50 AM: Victims of terror blast at Ariana Grade concert at Manchester arena, share theiur accounts of horror on social media : 

#6:30 AM: Official statements and eyewitness accounts:

“Police were called to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena. So far 19 people have been confirmed dead with around 50 others injured,” Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.

“This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise,” the statement said.

Eyewitnesses reported hearing a loud “bang” from inside the venue, which was playing host to a concert by American pop star Ariana Grande. Video footage from the scene showed bloodied victims being helped by emergency services.Grande is safe, her spokesperson said.

“It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us,” an eyewitness said.The blasts reportedly went off at the end of the concert near the box office area of the venue.

“Some people were screaming they’d seen blood but other people were saying it was balloons busting or a speaker had been popped,” said another eyewitness.

The UK’s Network Rail said train lines out of Manchester Victoria station, which is close to the concert venue, were blocked.

#6:20 AM: People are taking to twitter to track down those missing after the explosions at the concert. While Machester has opened up their homes for people stranded due to blast. "If you're stranded & need a room for the night after terror attack @ArianaGrande gig, follow #roomformanchester. Taxis offering free lifts," someone tweeted.  


#6:15 AM: Second suspect device at Manchester Arena; controlled explosion imminent, say British police

#6:00 AM: Police confirms 19 dead and at least 50 injured, calls explosion at Manchester Arena a terrorist incident.

#5:51 AM: British media reports US officials briefed on Manchester incident say UK officials suspect it was caused by suicide bomber

#5:48 AM: 19 killed, around 50 injured after reports of explosions at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester: British police 

#4:24 AM: Number of 'confirmed fatalities' after reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena concert, says Police : UK media

Celebrities from all over the world condemned the attack: 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

First Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 06:00 AM
RELATED ARTICLES


Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and IOS.


NEXT STORY