China’s earthquake administration said the 3.4 magnitude quake that hit North Korea on Saturday was a “suspected explosion”, probably another nuclear bomb test by the isolated DPRK.
China's seismic service CENC said it detected a zero-depth earthquake measuring 3.4 on the Richter scale in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)
It said epicentre of the quake was almost same with a similar little depth earthquake on Sept. 3, which was actually a nuclear test.
According to South Korea's meteorological agency, the earthquake was detected near the Punggyeri nuclear site in North Korea's Hamgyong Province.
However, the agency has said it has not detected any man-made sound waves and the initial view was that it was a natural tremor.
North Korea's Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho had warned on Thursday that Kim Jong-un could consider a hydrogen bomb test of an unprecedented scale over the Pacific.
Earlier in the month, North Korea carried out its biggest ever sixth nuclear test, with seismic monitors measuring an "explosion" of 6.3 magnitudes near its main test site, sending tensions over its weapons ambitions to new heights.
On North Korean television, a newsreader called the test a "complete success" and said the "two-stage thermonuclear weapon" had "unprecedented" strength. Hours earlier, Pyongyang claimed its leader had inspected a hydrogen bomb meant for a new intercontinental ballistic missile.