At least 15 people died and over were 32 injured in a high-intensity bomb blast in Quetta's Pishin Stop area in Pakistan on Saturday. Following the blast, officials have declared an emergency in the city, reported the Dawn news.
According to the eyewitnesses, the powerful blast occurred at a high-security area near a security forces vehicle. The entire area was cordoned off by police and security forces.
"COAS condemns terrorist attack on Army truck in Quetta, an attempt to mar Indep Day festivity. Our resolve won't succumb to any challenge," Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor tweeted.
Pakistan's Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) confirmed that an on-duty security vehicle was targeted in the blast, adding that 10 security officials were also injured in the blast.
"Incendiary explosive was used in the blast due to which nearby vehicles caught fire," ISPR reported.
All the injured were shifted to Civil Hospital Quetta for treatment and rescue operations are underway.
“15 bodies and 32 injured individuals were brought to the hospital. We are well equipped to deal with the emergency,” Dawn news quoted a spokesperson of Civil Hospital Quetta as saying. Leaves of all doctors have also been cancelled.
Balochistan Home Minister Sarfaraz Bugti refused to give any information about the nature of the blast saying “rescue operations are our priority.”
“We are trying to provide best possible facility to the injured people as soon as possible. Workers are also busy extinguishing the fire at the site,” he told Pakistani media.
The bomb blast took place just two days before Pakistan's Independence Day. "The terrorists don't want people to celebrate the Independence Day," Bugti said.
So far, no terrorist organisation has claimed the responsibility of the blast.