China says India's 'ready for two-and-a-half front war' statement irresponsible, warns it to 'learn lessons from history'

Updated On : 29 Jun , 2017 , 07:42 PM
 China warns India on border rift, says 'learn lessons from history'
China warns India on border rift, says 'learn lessons from history'
New Delhi:

People’s Liberation Army of China on Thursday said India should learn lessons from its defeat in 1962 and stop war clamouring. It said the New Delhi should immediately withdraw its troops to settle the Sikkim stand-off.

Reacting to Indian Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat’s statement that India was ready for a two-and-a-half front war (China, Pakistan and internal security), People’s Liberation Army (PLA) spokesperson Wu Qian said such statements are extremely irresponsible and India should learn from history.

“Such rhetoric is extremely irresponsible. We hope (the) particular person in the Indian Army could learn from historical lessons and stop such clamouring for war,” The Hindustan Times quoted Wu Qian as saying at the monthly defence ministry briefing in Beijing, indicating China’s aggressive position in the current dispute.

“The Indian border troop personnel have entered the Chinese territory in the Sikkim sector of the India-China borders. They tried to stop the normal activities of the Chinese border defence forces in the Donglang region. We carried out appropriate responses to halt these activities to safeguard our national sovereignty and territorial integrity,” Wu said.

Responding to another question, Wu said PLA has conducted trials of a lightweight battle tank in Tibet near the Indian border. The 35-tonne tank has carried out trials in the plains of Tibet.

Top Trending: Amid Sikkim standoff, Chinese Army tests battle tank in Tibet near Indian border

When asked whether it is targeted against India, the PLA spokesman said, “The purpose is to test the parameters of the equipment and is not targeted against any country.”

Earlier on Tuesday, Lodging a protest with India over the alleged “crossing of boundary” by its troops in the Sikkim section, China demanded their immediate withdrawal. Beijing warned that future visits of Indian pilgrims to Kailash Mansarovar will depend on the resolution of the standoff.

“Our position to uphold our territorial sovereignty is unwavering. We hope the Indian side can work with China in the same direction and immediately withdraw the personnel who have overstepped and trespassed into Chinese border,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a media briefing Beijing.

After the incident, Army Chief Gen. Bipin Rawat on Thursday arrived in Sikkim in the backdrop of a standoff between Indian troops and Chinese army along the Sino-India border in the sensitive sector which is threatening to further strain the bilateral ties.

MEA spokesperson, Gopal Bagley reacting on the stand-off said that border issue with China is very serious and such issues need time to explain. He said MEA will reschedule a briefing in next week.

First Published : Thursday, June 29, 2017 07:10 PM
Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world. Available on Android and iOS.