Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a plea seeking a stay on the release of Vivek Oberoi-starrer biopic 'PM Narendra Modi'. The top court said the biopic on Prime Minister Narendra Modi was yet to receive a certificate from the Censor Board. The court said that it will be decided by the Election Commission whether the movie can violate the Model Code of Conduct.
The film was originally scheduled to hit the theatres on April 5 but due to certain hurdles by "powerful people", the release got delayed to April 11, the same day first phase of Lok Sabha elections starts. Bollywood actor Vivek Oberoi, who is portraying Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his controversial biopic, has reacted sharply after the film’s release got postponed to April 11.
Oberoi, a staunch supporter of Modi, said that some powerful people created difficulties for them, and they couldn’t release the prime minister’s biopic on April 5, less than a week before the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
The film, directed by Omung Kumar, has been criticised by the opposition parties, who claim that the biopic could give undue advantage to the BJP in the polls as it will arrive in theatres before the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. The seven-phase polls will begin on April 11 and continue till May 19.
"We wanted to release the film on April 5, but some people put us in so many difficulties that we couldn't do it. We are working hard to get the film released on April 11," Oberoi said.
Oberoi, known for his performances in Shootout at Lokhandwala and Company, had earlier claimed that the movie was not a propaganda film and termed its release colliding with Lok Sabha elections as mere "coincidence".
''It is just a coincidence that the film is releasing ahead of the election. It is not a propaganda film. I am an individual who has a credible body of work over the last 18 years, more than 45 films and more than 26-27 awards. So I stand my ground there. I don't need to make him appear as a hero. He is a hero to billions of people across the world,'' he had said.