X

ICC Women's World T20: India Eye Repeat Of 2018 Vs New Zealand In Melbourne

The ICC Women's World T20 Will See A Crucial Clash Between India And New Zealand At The Junction Oval In Melbourne And The Result Of The Match Could Witness Major Changes In The Entire Group.

Poonam Yadav has been in impressive form in the ongoing ICC Women's World T20 in Australia. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
News Nation Bureau New Delhi Updated on: 27 Feb 2020, 07:21 AM

The Indian women's cricket team, led by Harmanpreet Kaur, have been in fine form in the ongoing ICC Women's World T20 in Australia. They defeated the defending champions Australia by 17 runs in Sydney and then followed it up with a good show against Bangladesh in Perth as they won by 18 runs. The next clash is against New Zealand at the Junction Oval in Melbourne and the result of this match could have major implications for the teams in the group. A win for New Zealand will put both Australia and India under pressure while a win for India will all but seal their spot in the knock-outs. India will be gunning to repeat their 2018 performance against New Zealand in the ICC Women's World T20 and here are the key statistics in the contest.

1 - Number of times India have won in the ICC World T20 against New Zealand. This took place in the 2018 edition of the tournament in Providence, Guyana and it was India's first win after losing their previous two encounters.

17.90 - Harmanpreet Kaur's average against New Zealand in T20Is. However, this is her least against any of the established teams. However, in 10 matches, she had hit only 94 runs but in one game, she hit 103 in Guyana to break India's rut.

1 - Only one century has ever been hit by an Indian woman cricketer in T20Is and that feat belongs to Harmanpreet Kaur, who smashed 103. That knock, though, came against New Zealand in Guyana in 2018.

25 - Number of wickets for Poonam Yadav in the ICC World T20, which is the most by an Indian bowler. She is seventh in the all-time list in World T20s, behind Anya Shrubsole of England, Ellyse Perry of Australia, Stafanie Taylor of West Indies, Shabnim Ismail of South Africa, New Zealand's Sophie Devine and Windies star Deandra Dottin.

894 - The highest number of runs scored in the history of the Women's World T20 and it is New Zealand's Sophie Devine. She has played in every single edition of the ICC Women's World T20 and has an average of 33.11.

Also Read | ICC Women's World Cup 2020 - India vs New Zealand, Preview And Prediction

Pitch Report

The pitch at the Junction Oval is expected to assist spinners, as it was evident in the tri-series involving Australia, England and India. In the final, the left-arm spin of Jess Jonassen got five wickets and in the spin department, India definitely trump New Zealand thanks to the presence of Deepti Sharma, Poonam Yadav and Rajeshwari Gayakwad. The plan for the teams will be to bat first and put a big total on the board as the spinners will come into play later in the innings

Weather Report

There is no chances of rain disrupting this match but the skies will be partly cloudy. With less humidity at the Junction Oval and it being a day game, there will be no dew on offer.

What was said

I think it is in the rules of the game, that you can get the batter out. But I think it is good for us to give warning once, or twice maybe. As a batter, if I keep doing that then the third time I think the bowler has the right to get me out. So that's what I feel - Smriti Mandhana has her take on the Mankading rule.

For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 27 Feb 2020, 07:21 AM

More from Sports News