Harish Rawat confirms incursion by Chinese troops in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district

27 July 2016, 03:30 PM
Harish Rawat confirms Chinese incursion in Chamoli
Harish Rawat confirms Chinese incursion in Chamoli

Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Wednesday confirmed that Chinese troops have infiltrated in Chamoli district. However, Rawat said that the troops did not touch an important canal in the area. “Good thing is the Chinese have not touched an important canal there,” Harish Rawat told ANI.

He said he was assured that the centre will take note of the issue. “I am sure central government will take required cognizance of the issue,” he was quoted as saying by ANI.

Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju said, “We have to check whether this incident was intrusion or not, only then can any action be taken.”

This is not the first time that a report of Chinese incursion in Uttarakhand has emerged as similar attempts have been made in the past on several occasions. The state shares a 350 kilometer long boundary with China.

In August last year, the Chinese troops had entered Chamoli’s Bara Hoti area near the Indo-China border in Uttarakhand.

First Published: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 02:59 PM
For all the latest News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.