Taking over the Congress’ campaign trail in Karnataka’s Bijapur, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday launched a blistering attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying his speeches cannot fill empty stomachs.
Addressing the rally, she accused the Modi government of discriminating against the Congress-ruled Karnataka, and questioned his slogan of ‘sabka saath, sabka vikas’.
Taking a jibe at PM Modi’s “eloquence”, Sonia said that Modi’s speeches were not enough to fill the empty stomach of poor.
"Modi-ji is proud of the fact that he is a very good orator, I agree with this. He speaks like an actor. I'll be happy if his speeches can end hunger of the country but speeches cannot fill empty stomachs, food is needed for that... You cannot fill your stomach with your speeches. Modi-ji's speeches cannot cure diseases. You need medicine to cure diseases," the UPA chairperson said.
Launching a counter offensive against the prime minister, who has relentlessly targeted the Siddaramaiah government over corruption, Sonia asked what happened to the institution of Lok Pal, the anti-graft watchdog that was proposed to be set up.
Modi is "possessed by the devil" of the Congress-mukt Bharat and for the last four years he has only undone the good work of the previous Congress governments, Gandhi said.
"Modi ji has junoon (passion) of Congress mukt bharat. He is possessed by the devil of Congress mukt bharat (Congress mukht bharat ka bhoot
laga hai)... Let alone Congress mukt bharat, he cannot tolerate (bardasht) anyone standing in front of him. The country is surprised that wherever he goes he speaks wrong. He distorts history, and for his political selfishness he uses our great freedom fighters as pawns on the chess board," she said.
Here are the top quotes of Sonia Gandhi from her rally in Bijapur:
1. Congress has worked for development of Karnataka and you must know that the central government is working in a biased manner when it comes to Karnataka. Congress made Karnataka country’s number 1 state and started numerous scheme for people.
2. Standing by each other and working together, that is the essence of Karnataka & of India:
3. We have worked tirelessly for the poor. We started Mahatma Gandhi NREGA scheme which was objected by the BJP and by Modi Ji.
4. Farmers of Karnataka have been suffering due to drought, your CM Siddaramaiah wanted to meet PM over this issues but he refused. By doing this he has insulted not only the farmers but also the state of Karnataka.
5. All states that suffered drought were given compensation (by centre), Karnataka was provided with the least. This was like rubbing salt into the wounds of farmers. I ask Modi ji, is this your ‘sabka-saath, sabka-vikas?’
6. Modi ji is proud of the fact that he is a very good orator, I agree with this. He speaks like an actor. I’ll be happy if his speeches can end hunger of the country but speeches cannot fill empty stomachs, food is needed for that.
7. Modi is obsessed with the idea of congress-free India, he has been possessed with a ghost of that, leave Congress, he cannot tolerate anyone in front of him.
8. Wherever Modi Ji goes he says wrong things and distorts historical facts. He uses the names of heroes from our history for his political motives.