Delhi High Court allows CBI to file closure report in missing JNU student Najeeb Ahmed's case

New Delhi, News Nation Bureau | Updated : 08 October 2018, 01:53 PM
Delhi High Court allows CBI to file closure report in missing JNU student Najeeb Ahmed's case
Delhi High Court allows CBI to file closure report in missing JNU student Najeeb Ahmed's case

The Delhi High Court on Monday declined missing Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Najeeb Ahmed’s mother’s plea to constitute a Special Investigation Team (SIT) and monitor the investigation and allowed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to file a closure report. Najeeb Ahmed went missing from the university nearly two years ago.

Read More | Janelle Monae cast in Disney's 'Lady and the Tramp'

A bench of justices S Muralidhar and Vinod Goel said Fatima Nafees, who had moved the high court in November 2016 seeking directions to the police to trace her son, "can raise all contentions available to her before the trial court" and disposed of the plea. The court had reserved its verdict in the case on September 4.

"It's been two years. I had high hopes from the court but we didn't move even an inch. Security agencies misguided the court. We'll go to the Supreme Court. All that is happening since last two years is being done under the pressure by those sitting in power," said Fatima Nafees, mother of Najeeb Ahmed, said after the high court decision.

The CBI, which had taken over the investigation on May 16 last year, had said that it had looked into all the aspects of the case and was of the opinion that no offence was committed against the missing student.

Also Read | Former Chelsea, England football captain John Terry hangs up his boots

Ahmed had gone missing from the Mahi-Mandvi hostel of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) on October 15, 2016, following a scuffle with some students allegedly affiliated to the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) the previous night.

Nafees’ lawyer had contended before the court that it was a "political case" and that the "CBI has succumbed to the pressure of its masters". Nafees had moved the high court on November 25, 2016, seeking directions to the police to trace her son. However, as the Delhi Police remained clueless about Ahmed's whereabouts even after seven months since he went missing, the probe was handed over to the CBI on May 16 last year.

First Published: Monday, October 08, 2018 01:06 PM
For all the latest Delhi And Ncr News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.