Burari Deaths: Unthinkable facts that will shake your conscience
It looked more like the handywork of a serial killer or could well have been a mystery murder plot of a crime series or a film. But this is a case of real life crime story - the mysterious deaths of 11 family members in a house in Delhi’s far-flung Burari. The strange deaths, first-ever kind of a crime scene, has left people in a state of shock. The deaths reported as "mass suicide" is an unusual death case - an unthinkable act as 10 of the bodies were found hanging with their eyes and mouths covered and hands tied to their back.
At one point, even the police were left wondering if it was a case of “mass suicide” or mass murder. However, the cops later found two handwritten notebooks in the form of dairies, which revealed macabre details about the puzzling deaths.
The notebooks revealed that Lalit Bhatia, the youngest son of the family, was the “brainchild” behind the “mass suicide.” The police claimed that the dairies were written by Lalit, who had been hallucinating about his father, who died 10 years ago. He allegedly told the family that his father was giving him instructions to achieve salvation for the family.
The police investigation revealed several things related to the Burari family hanging which were beyond imagination and would shake the conscience of most.
Below are eight unthinkable facts on the Burari deaths as revealed by the investigators.
1. According to the police investigation, the suicides were pre-planned, almost seven days before. The date and time, way of hanging and even the number of people who will take the extreme step were fixed.
2. The family members thought that they will not die from the hanging and the soul of Lalit’s father will save them. Lalit had allegedly convinced the family that the soul of his father, Gopaldas, will come and rescue all of them. “In your last hours, while your last wish is fulfilled, the sky will open up and the earth will shake, don't panic but start chanting the mantra louder. I will come to save you and others,” one of the entries in the notebooks read. Read More About This Here
3. Earlier, police thought that the eldest lady of the family, 77-year-old Narayani Devi was strangled by one of the family members but later it was found that she also died due to hanging without any struggle. Police suspect that someone from the family took off her noose and arranged her body after death.
4. The family used five stools to hang themselves. It suggests that five members hanged themselves first and the other five helped them. Later the same stools were used by them.
5. The delusions of Lalit, the “brain” behind the “mass suicide”, about an impending apocalypse drove the family into this horrendous act.
6. Lalit bought some gold from a jewellery shop hours before the hanging, The family even ordered food. There were no signs of any fear or suspicion seen by the neighbours hours before the death and everything was normal with the family. It indicates that the family was assured that they will stay alive even after hanging. Watch The Last Video of Lalit Here
7. Earlier, there were claims that it could be a mass murder as the main gate of the house was open. However, autopsy report made it clear that none of them struggled before death and the police didn’t found any evidence of forced entry into the house.
8. The family hanged themselves in the same manner which was mentioned in the diaries found from their house. Most of the bodies were blinded, and their mouth were wrapped and hands tied behind their back. They even plugged cotton in their ears to avoid the sound. The family thought that they were actually performing some ritual.
Live Scores & Results