Fire at drug store in Jaipur's SMS Hospital, patient dies after smoke fills up women's ward

New Delhi, News Nation Bureau | Updated : 10 May 2019, 01:11 PM
File Photo
File Photo

A fire broke out at Life Line drug store in Jaipur's Sawai Man Singh (SMS) Hospital on Friday. The smoke coming out of the store reached the nearby women's ward of the hospital, resulting in the death of a patient. Although the hospital authorities claimed that they timely evacuated all the patients, family of deceased Bada Devi claimed that she died after inhaling the smoke.

The hospital officials said that as soon as the fire broke out at the Life Line drug store near the women's ward, they shifted all the patients to a differnt ward and the smoke didn't cause Bada Devi's death.

"All the patients were shifted to another ward. Bada Devi was admitted to the hospital in a critical condition. She didn't die due to the smoke," the hospital authorities said.

The fire at the Life Line drug store was doused by the fire-fighter after two hours. Although the hospital was yet to calculate the damage, it was estimated that medicines worth lakhs of ruppees and records were gutted in the fire.

Patients can avail cheap medicines at the Life Line drug stores. However, after the fire, patients in the hospital are facing problems as the store was unable to provide mediciens to them, thus, forcing them to buy expensive drugs from the market.

First Published: Friday, May 10, 2019 11:00 AM
For all the latest Jaipur News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.