Man dies violent death after being sucked in by MRI machine at Mumbai hospital

28 January 2018, 01:41 PM
The family said Maru had gone inside the machine but he had to be pulled out by force due to the strong magnetic power of the machine. (ANI)
The family said Maru had gone inside the machine but he had to be pulled out by force due to the strong magnetic power of the machine. (ANI)

In a shocking case of gross medical negligence reported from Mumbai, a 32-year old man was sucked inside an MRI machine at BYL Nair Charitable Hospital on Saturday night.

The victim’s family has alleged that Rajesh Maru died due to negligence on the part of the hospital staff after he was admitted inside the MRI room with an oxygen tank when metal items are strictly not allowed in MRI rooms.

A hospital attendant at MRI room said that the MRI machine was not switched on when Maru was brought in the MRI room.

Eyewitnesses say that Maru entered the MRI room carrying an oxygen cylinder which he was carrying for his relative and the metal in the cylinder triggered the machine's massive magnetic field, pulling in both Maru and the cylinder with great force. His hand got stuck in the machine along with the cylinder triggering a massive oxygen leak.

The leaked oxygen entered his stomach and he bloated like a balloon, his eyes popped out and within no time he died.

The family said Maru had gone inside the machine but he had to be pulled out by force due to the strong magnetic power of the machine. He was shifted to trauma but it was too late.

Family members, along with local people and BJP MLA MP Lodha on Sunday protested inside the dean's cabin demanding immediate action against the culprit and compensation.

One ward boy who had given the oxygen cylinder containing metal to Rajesh Maru has been suspended by the hospital Dean.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakhs for the family of the victim.

An FIR has been registered against Doctor Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and one lady ward attendant Sunita Surve under Section 304 A (causing death by negligence). CCTV footage of the incident has been handed over to the police by hospital authorities. Further investigation is underway.

First Published: Sunday, January 28, 2018 01:28 PM
For all the latest Mumbai News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.