A local train caught fire on the harbour line at Vashi station in Mumbai on Wednesday after an unidentified person threw a discarded bag on the pantograph. According to Central Railway, minor flames were seen rising and heavy smoke was detected after overhead equipment tripped on Harbour line at Vashi station in a down local. A pantograph is an apparatus on the roof of an electric train, tram or electric bus to collect power through contact with an overhead line.
However, these flames were soon extinguished by the railway staff at the station. No injuries were reported.
"All the services are functioning normally now," said Central Railway.
#VIDEO | Heavy smoke was detected in pantograph (apparatus on the roof of an electric train) after Overhead Equipment tripped on Harbour line at Vashi station in a down local, reports ANI. #Maharashtra— News Nation (@NewsNationTV) October 9, 2019
For more updates, visit https://t.co/FKiTwn4lh5 pic.twitter.com/1RS2UqOrlw
According to reports, train services on harbour line of Central Railway were disrupted for half an hour as after an unidentified person threw a discarded bag on the pantograph of a train at Navi Mumbai’s Vashi station on Wednesday morning.
"The Panvel-bound train which was scheduled for 9.28 am was delayed for over 12 minutes as the local caught fire because a person threw a discarded bag on pantograph (an overhead apparatus mounted on the roof of an electric train). Immediate rescue measures were taken, fire brigade reached on spot, and nobody was hurt. The rake was withdrawn and sent to car shed for safety reasons," AK Jain senior PRO, central railway was quoted as saying in Hindustan Times.