Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said a Centre-appointed expert panel has suggested additional safety measures in the construction of the stalled Subansiri Lower Hydroelectric Project by NHPC.
The central decision was conveyed in a letter by the Union Minister of State for Power Jyotiraditya Scindia earlier this week, Gogoi informed.
"As per the recommendation of Thatte Committee, an independent Dam Design Review Panel (DDRP) was formed. It has proposed some additional safety measures in the construction of the dam. Now, NHPC has been asked to modify the design of the dam," the Chief Minister said.
The DDRP examined issues like foundation competency, seismic aspect, dam design and existing ground conditions, the Gogoi said.
He said the Power Ministry had accepted the recommendations and asked NHPC to proceed accordingly.
Scindia further informed Gogoi that NHPC would implement recommendations of the Joint Steering Committee to mitigate the downstream impact at a cost of about Rs 470 crore.
On allocation of power to Assam, the letter said "the Technical Experts Committee appointed by the Planning Commission to examine technical aspects of the project has recommended that Assam be given first charge on the 300 MW of unallocated power in addition to the already allocated power of 208 MW of paid and 25 MW of free power."
The construction work of the ambitious 2,000 MW project on the Subansiri river has been stalled after protests by locals and many organisations, mainly by RTI activist Akhil Gogoi-led Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti.