Mid-day meal tragedy: Can't get children back but will help their village: Nitish Kumar
As the Bihar police arrested Meena Devi, absconding principal of Dharmasati Gandaman Primary School in Chhapra, in connection with the mid-day meal tragedy, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday held a press conference. 23 children had died after eating mid-day meal in the school.
Here are the highlights of Nitish’s press Conference:
- Principal is arrested, police will investigate the matter from all angles. It doesn't seem to be a normal case of carelessness
- More people will have to be employed including cooks. Security measures will have to be spruced up
- Cops will find why the children were served mad food even after they protested
- The police is questioning the principal of the Chhapra school. We will probe every aspect of the incident.
- Who can be enemies with children? Can’t understand this
- I was in touch with officials after the mid-day meal tragedy
- I do not want to stoop low and politicise the incident
- I was unwell that is why I could not go to the hospital
- Need Centre's help on mid-day meal scheme
- We will open a high school in Saran village
- People of Saran village are very poor and we will introduce developmental schemes for the villagers
- We can't get the children back. But we will do whatever possible for the development of the village.
- We will open a high school and a medical facility in Saran village (where midday meal incident happened)
- Principal of Chhapra school, Mina Kumari, in police custody
- Midday meal tragedy was not a mere mistake. It is a matter of investigation
- I accept there needs to be an improvement in providing health services
- We have made improvements but it is work in progress
- Health services have scope of improvement and will certainly be made better
First Published: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 05:44 PM