Kerala government on Tuesday decided to cancel Onam festivities in view of the massive displacement, loss of lives and property caused by heavy monsoon rains and floods, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said.
The Kerala government, which had earmarked Rs 30 crore for Onam festivities to be held all across the state, decided to utilise the amount for relief operations, sources said.
“What has occurred in our state has been the worst ever (disaster). A total of 444 villages have been affected. The money set aside for Onam will be used for relief work in the state. We seek everyone’s help in our efforts,” Vijayan told the media after a cabinet meeting.
At least thirty-nine people had been killed in landslides and floods caused due to the heavy rains, which had destroyed 20,000 houses and damaged 10,000 km of roads in the state since August 8.
(With inputs from agencies)