Senior Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan on Tuesday levelled serious charges against the officials of Rampur district administration over the ongoing voting in third phase of the Lok Sabha Elections 2019. Khan alleged that the district administration is deliberately trying the slow down the voting pace. He also claimed that around 300 electronic voting machines were not working properly. This high-profile seat from Uttar Pradesh is witnessing an intense battle between Khan and BJP’s Jaya Prada. Khan also claimed that his supporters were not allowed to cast their votes. He claimed that if the district administration did not take corrective measure, he will sit on a dharna.
The poll campaign for Rampur turned bitter after Khan made a below-belt remark against Jaya Prada. After massive outrage, the Election Commission had issued a gag order against him.
During the last Lok Sabha elections in 2014, the poll panel had imposed a ban on Khan from campaigning in Uttar Pradesh for his provocative speeches and had also lodged an FIR against him.
Khan, however, remained defiant and said he did not name any person in his speech and if anyone proves that he had taken any name or maligned anyone then he would not contest the polls.
Without naming the actor, Khan had told the election rally in Rampur "... You got represented (by her) for 10 years. People of Rampur, people of Uttar Pradesh and people of India, it took you 17 years to understand her reality. But, I could recognize it in 17 days that she wears a khaki underwear."
There has been no end to this political rivalry. After Samajwadi Party leader sparked controversy with his below-the-belt remarks against BJP's Jaya Prada, his son Abdullah has now made another derogatory remark against the actor-turned-politician, calling her ‘Anarkali’. Claiming that Jaya Prada would be rejected by people in Anarkali parliamentary constituency, Abdullah said, “Rampur wants Ali as well as Bajrangbali but does not want Anarkali”, while speaking at Samajwadi Party’s final rally ahead of polling in the third phase.
Abdullah was speaking in reference to UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s controversial remark that the BJP has ‘Bajrang Bali’ (Lord Hanuman) and does not need Ali.
Hitting back, Jaya Pradad said she had not expected such remarks from Abdullah as he is educated. “Can't decide whether to laugh or cry, like father like son. Had not expected this from Abdullah. He's an educated man. Your father says 'I'm Amrapali' and you say 'I'm Anarkali.' Is that how you see women of society?” she said.
Key contests of 2019 Lok Sabha Elections Phase 3 in Uttar Pradesh
1. Rampur (2014 Result: BJP, Winner: Dr Nepal Singh, Margin: 23,435)2019 candidates: Jaya Prada (BJP) Vs Sanjay Kapoor (Congress) Azam Khan (SP)
2. Pilibhit (2014 Result: BJP, Winner: Maneka Gandhi, Margin: 3,07,052)2019 candidates: Varun Gandhi (BJP) Vs Hemraj Verma (SP)
3. Sambhal (2014 Result: BJP, Winner: Satyapal Singh, Margin: 5,174)2019 candidates: Parmeshwar Lal Saini (BJP) Vs JP Singh (Congress) Vs Shafiqur Rahman Barq (SP)
4. Bareilly (2014 Result: BJP, Winner: Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Margin: 2,40,685)2019 candidates: Santosh Kumar Gangwar (BJP) Vs Praveen Aron (Congress) Vs Bhagwat Saran Gangwar (SP)
5. Mainpuri (2014 Result: SP, Winner: Mulayam Singh Yadav, Margin; 3,64,666)2019 candidates: Mulayam Singh Yadav (SP) Vs Prem Singh Shakya (BJP)
6. Firozabad (2014 Result: SP, Winner: Akshay Yadav, Margin: 1,14,059)2019 candidates: Akshay Yadav (SP) Vs Shivpal Singh Yadav (PSPL) Vs Chandrasen Jadon (BJP)
7. Badaun (2014 Result: SP, Winner; Dharmendra Yadav, Margin: 1,66,347)2019 candidates: Sangh Mitra Maurya (BJP) Vs Saleem Iqbal Shervani (Congress) Vs Dharmendra Yadav (SP)