Board Exam Result 2019

Mission Shakti | India developed capabilities to target, destroy satellites in 2012 under UPA govt: Congress

New Delhi, News Nation Bureau | Updated : 27 March 2019, 10:31 PM
Mission Shakti | India developed capabilities to target, destroy satellites in 2012 under UPA govt: Congress
Mission Shakti | India developed capabilities to target, destroy satellites in 2012 under UPA govt: Congress

The Congress on Wednesday claimed that India had developed the capabilities to target and destroy satellites in 2012 under the UPA government hours after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the country had demonstrated anti-satellite missile capability by shooting down a live satellite, describing it as a rare achievement that puts the country in an exclusive club of space superpowers. 

“Modi's desperation for public approval prior to elections is becoming even more apparent as he tries to steal credit once again, the Congress said on Twitter.

The statement came after VK Saraswat, former DRDO Chief and NITI Aayog member, has claimed that in 2012 and 2013, the UPA government didn’t give permission to complete 'Mission Shakti' even though the organisation was ready with the necessary steps. 

 “We had already completed the stimulation process. We wanted to combine the capabilities of our Ballistic missile system and the developed capabilities of AGNI programme to get results in the same direction. However, we still had to develop certain technology for which we wanted resources and permission. But no such permission was granted to us during 2012-13 and even 2014. But under the leadership of PM Modi and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, we were able to get all the required permission. The DRDO set the integration, realisation and demonstration,” Saraswat told Republic TV

“We made presentations to the National Security Adviser and National Security Council, when such discussions were held, they were heard by all concerned, unfortunately, we didn't get positive response (from UPA), so we didn't go ahead,” news agency ANI quoted Saraswat as saying.

“When proposal was put up by Dr Satheesh Reddy and NSA Ajit Doval to PM Modi, he had the courage and based on that he gave a go ahead. If the clearances were given in 2012-13, I'm quite certain that the launch would have happened in 2014-15,” he added.

First Published: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 06:01 PM
For all the latest Election News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.