From 'hug' to 'earthquake', how PM Modi took dig at Rahul Gandhi in Lok Sabha speech
Prime Minister Narendra Modi takes a swipe at Rahul Gandhi in his last Lok Sabha speech before the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
From Rahul Gandhi's "earthquake" warning to controversial Rafale fighter jets deal, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a swipe at the Congress president in his last Lok Sabha speech before the 2019 Lok Sabha elections on Wednesday. Modi also praised women parliamentarians for actively participating in the 16th Lok Sabha. Interestingly, PM Modi also thanked Samajwadi Party veteran Mulayam Singh Yadav after he wished the Prime Minister a return to power after the national election as the current Lok Sabha met for the last time. In response, PM Modi said: "There is much to do. And Mulayam Singhji has given his blessings. I am very grateful to him." Modi praised senior Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge for his contribution as an Opposition leader, and said that conversations with Kharge helped "stir my thought". "Micchami Dukkadam," he said. The term is a phrase used to seek forgiveness for any offence committed.
Here are top quotes of PM Modi in his last Lok Sabha speech before Lok Sabha polls:
- I came to this House for the first time and learnt a lot of new things. Mein pehli baar yahan aya, bahut si cheezein jaanne ko mili. Pehli baar mujhe pata chala ki gale milna aur gale padna kya hai. Pehli baar dekh raha hun k sadan mein aankhon se gustakhiyaan hoti hain (I realised for the first time the difference between a hug and a forced hug).
- We will be proud of this 16th Lok Sabha, as it saw the highest number of women members elected to the House. 44 first-time women MPs were elected to the Lok Sabha.
- We used to hear that an earthquake will come. No such thing happened. Kabhi hawai jahaaz uday gaye, lekin loktantra ki maryada itni unchi hai ki koi hawai jahaz uss unchchai tak nahi ja paya.
- This House passed the laws to fight the menace of black money and corruption. This House also passed the GST bill. The GST process revealed the spirit of cooperation and bipartisanship.
- The world today is discussing the issue of global warming and India has made an effort for the formation of the International Solar Alliance to combat this problem.
- The country's self-confidence is at an all-time high. I think this is a very good sign because such confidence gives a boost to development.
- This House has also removed more than 1,400 laws. It was a jungle-like situation with too many laws. This is an auspicious start, a lot is left to be done and for that, Mulayamji has already given his blessings.
- It was the first time in three decades that a government with a clear majority was formed and it was the first time since Independence that a government without Congress gotra was formed. A coalition government without Congress gotra was led by Atalji while a similar government with a clear majority was formed in 2014.
- Several sessions in this Lok Sabha had good productivity. This is a very good sign. I appreciate M Venkaiah Naiduji and late Ananth Kumarji for their service as ministers for parliamentary affairs.
First Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 06:20 PM
- Narendra Modi ,
- Congress ,
- Lok Sabha ,
- Parliament ,
- Hug ,
- Earthquake ,
- Rahul Gandhi ,
- Rafale Deal ,
- Black Money ,
- Wink ,