Day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi slammed the Congress in his 55-minute-long Vote of Thanks speech in the Lok Sabha during the Budget Session, Rahul Gandhi today said that the Prime Minister was directly involved in the multi-billion Rafale fighter aircraft deal. He accused PM Modi of stealing Rs 30,000 crore of taxpayers’ money and giving it to his ‘friend Anil Ambani.’ The fresh allegations of ‘parallel negotiations’ came after a report in ‘The Hindu’ said that the Defence Ministry had opposed the deal. “It’s an open and shut case. It’s clear that PM stole money,’ Gandhi said while addressing the media in New Delhi on Friday.
The stinging attack came a day after Gandhi’s brother-in-law was grilled by the Enforcement Directorate officials. Vadra was quizzed by the ED officials for almost 12 hours in last two days.
The son-in-law of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi has been refusing any links with arms dealer Sanjay Bhandari and his relative Sumit Chadha, the ED officials think otherwise. According to the probe agency, a mail reveals the extent of dealings between all three accused in the money laundering case. News Nation has the very mail on which the ED is basing its probe. The mail is written by Chadha complaining about not receiving any ‘funds’ for the London house renovation.
Earlier on Thursday, Vadra’s wife and Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi came to the ED office, in Jamnagar House in central Delhi, in a black SUV to pick him up around 9:30 PM. Her vehicle was guarded by SPG personnel when it went inside the ED office. Priyanka had dropped off her husband for questioning at the ED office on Wednesday noon.
Official sources said Vadra was required to rejoin the probe on Thursday as he needed to answer more questions on allegedly acquiring immovable assets in the UK.
Here are some of the questions ED officials asked Robert Vadra on Wednesday:
1. Is London's 12 Brighton Squire property yours?
2. What’s your connection with the London property, why mails were sent to you regarding its renovation?
3. Is it right that the floor plan of this property was sent to you? In 2010, when these mails were coming to you, this property was with the arms dealer Sanjay Bhandari. Then why did the email come to you? Is this property linked to you?
4. A fund was also sought to build a property from you, and in response, you also responded to Sumit Chadda who had sent the mail. You had assured him for the fund, why were you arranging for the fund?
5. Why was the copy of every email sent to you was given to Sanjay Bhandari?
6. How do you know Sanjay Bhandari and Sumit Chadda?
7. Do you know the Indian national CC Thampi, who lives in Dubai, and who bought this property from Sanjay Bhandari?