Mithun Chakraborty, famously known as Mithun Da, is one of the top-notch stars in Bollywood. He has captured millions of hearts with his onscreen performances and great dancing skills. The actor danced his way to glory with his super-hit film, Disco Dancer (1982). In his 4-decade-long career, Mithun Chakraborty has featured in more than 350 films and well, he has a record too. In the year 1989, approximately 19 films featuring Mithun Da made it to the theatres. As the actor turns 67 today, we bring you some more surprising facts about him that many are not aware of.
1. Before joining Bollywood, Mithun Chakraborty attended and graduated from the Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
2. Mithun was said to be a part of the Naxalites. During his days as a Naxalite, he became friends with Ravi Ranjan, a popular Naxal figure, known to his friends as Bhaa.
3. Mithun Da is married to Yogita Bali, but there was a time when he was quite famous for his relationship with ‘Hawa Hawai’ actress Sridevi. Reports suggest that Mithun secretly tied the knot with Sridevi, despite being a married man.
4. Before he made his foray into Bollywood, Mithun Da worked as an assistant of dancing diva Helen. He was then known as Rana Rej and assisted Helen on her various projects. While doing so, he acquired a small 2 minute role in Amitabh Bachchan’s ‘Do Anjane’ wherein he played the role of Big B’s neighbour.
5. Mithun's real name was Gouranga Chakraborty but, as he didn’t find this name appealing enough to make a big name in the Bollywood industry, he changed his name to Mithun Chakraborty.