IND vs WI World Cup 2019

#MeToo India: Tanushree Dutta's lawyer claims, key witnesses are scared to records statement

Mumbai, PTI | Updated : 18 May 2019, 01:39 PM
Key witnesses scared to records statement in Tanushree case says her lawyer
Key witnesses scared to records statement in Tanushree case says her lawyer

Key witnesses are not coming forward to record their statements before police in the sexual harassment case filed by Tanushree Dutta against veteran actorNana Patekar and others, due to fear of the accused, her lawyer has claimed.

Dutta had filed a complaint in October last year, in which she had alleged that on the sets of "Horn Ok Pleasss" in 2008, Patekar had touched her inappropriately on the pretext of showing her dance steps, and also insisted on starring in the song sequence, which was supposed to be a solo performance.

She had also named choreographer Ganesh Acharya,producer Samee Siddhiqui and director of the film Rakesh Sarang in her complaint. Based on her complaint, police hadregistered a case against them. Talking to reporters on Friday evening, Dutta'slawyer, Nitin Satpute, claimed that although a number of witnesses have recorded their statements before the police,the key witnesses of the incident are not coming forward to sodue to fear of the accused.

"Police have recorded the statements of almost 15 witnesses, but key eyewitnesses of the incident have not recorded their statements. They are not coming forward becauseof the fear of the accused as they are highly influentialpeople," he said.

Satpute said one woman eyewitness is not ready to support Tanushree's version now as she was made to face legal issues 10 years back. "If the accused are arrested, then the witnesses willfeel safe and they will come forward to record theirstatements," he added.

He also dismissed the "rumour" that police have givena clean chit to Patekar in connection with the case, which wasregistered at Oshiwara police station. "No clean chit has been given to Nana Patekar or otheraccused.

It cannot be given orally and can be approved only by the concerned magistrate," Satpute said. "These rumours are being spread as the accused have stopped getting work in the film industry," he added. 

First Published: Saturday, May 18, 2019 01:36 PM
For all the latest Entertainment News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.