Over 20 years after the first Bad Boys sequel made huge wave, Bad Boys 3 is finally happening. Actor Will Smith and Martin Lawrence have confirmed the much-awaited news. On Wednesday, Lawrence posted a photo with Smith on Instagram with the caption, “It’s official!” Bad Boys for Life. #teammartymar #badboysforlife@willsmith#weback”. The next day, Smith also posted an exuberant video with his co-star, exclaiming, “Bad Boys 3 is happening!”
So, it looks like the many fits and speculations of the stars saying the project may never see the light of day have been silenced. The Bad Boys sequel first came out in 1995 which, owing to its success, was followed by Bad Boys II in 2003. Since then, fans have been kept at the edge about the next action-packed detective comedy follow-up.
And as recently as last year, Lawrence when asked about the project said that a third film was unlikely.“I don’t think we’re going to get one, not the way everything’s turning out,” he told Entertainment Weekly, but he assured fans, “I’m there, I’m ready right now. If they wanted to do it, I’m ready, but I don’t have control of that. That’s the studio’s decision.”
Sony announced that Bad Boys 3 will happen but in 2020, although fans weren’t sure until the stars themselves confirmed it. Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, who directed Black and Gangsta, will be directing the sequel in place of Michael Bay. Taking to Instagram, Smith and Lawrence unleashed their infectious chemistry to confirm the announcement together.
Watch Smith’s Instagram video of the announcement here:
As of now, Bad Boys also known as Bad Boys For Life is underway and is to release in 2020. The filming of the movie is likely to begin this August.