Seven sanitation workers died after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a septic tank at a private hatchery in Andhra Pradesh’s Chittoor district on Friday.
Police said, initially four workers went inside the septic tank. “They fainted as they went inside the tank,” said an officer deployed at Chittoor district.
The deceased have been identified as Ramachandra, Reddappa, Ramesh, Govinda Swamy, Kesava, Babu and Venkat Raju.
Four other workers of the hatchery went inside the tank after they did not receive any response from the persons who were inside the septic tank.
An alarm was raised by workers of the Sri Venkateshwara Hatcheries Limited after the eight inside the septic tank did not respond.
Villagers and security guards of the hatchery broke open the tank to rescue the workers. “One of them was pulled out dead, while seven others were rushed to a nearby hospital for medical attention,” said police.
Andhra Pradesh Police further said that four workers were declared brought dead by doctors, while three others died during treatment.