IND vs AFG World Cup 2019

J-K to lift ban on civilian movement on NH-44 connecting Jammu to Srinagar from Monday

New Delhi, News Nation Bureau | Updated : 22 May 2019, 06:41 AM
J-K to lift ban on civilian movement on NH-44 connecting Jammu to Srinagar from Monday
J-K to lift ban on civilian movement on NH-44 connecting Jammu to Srinagar from Monday

Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik has decided to completely lift the restrictions on civilian movement on the National Highway (NH-44) connecting Jammu to Srinagar with effect from Monday. “Following a review of the security situation in the state and of the requirement of security forces’ convoys, the Governor has decided to lift the remaining restrictions on civilian movement on the National Highway (NH-44) connecting Jammu to Srinagar with effect from Monday, 27.5.2019,” said the Raj Bhawan in a statement.

“These restrictions had become necessary following the movement of security forces on an unprecedented scale after the Pulwama terror attack. The forces were required both for anti-militancy operations and for smooth conduct of general elections. In order to facilitate safe and secure movement of Security Forces’ Convoys, the Government had imposed a prohibition on civilian traffic on NH-44 from Baramulla to Udhampur twice a week, i.e. on Sunday & Wednesday, from 4.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m. Elaborate arrangements were, however, made by the local administration to facilitate movement of public during the period of restriction,” it added.

May 26 will be the last day of restriction on the movement of civilian traffic on the highway. The state administration had earlier on May 7 reduced the number of days from two to one and allowed civilian traffic on Wednesdays.

“Earlier, restriction on civilian movement between Srinagar and Baramulla on the highway was limited to Sunday with effect from April 22 and later completely withdrawn from May 2.  Restrictions on the Srinagar-Udhampur stretch were limited to just one day from May 13.

"After a detailed review today with all security agencies, civil and police administration in connection with the preparations for the Shri Amarnathji Yatra, the governor directed that there should be no restriction on civilian movement on the highway from Monday next," the statement said.

The restriction had come into force after a suicide bomber triggered an explosive laden car next to a bus of a CRPF convoy leaving 40 personnel dead. 

First Published: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 07:48 PM
For all the latest India News Download the News Nation App available on Android and iOS.