Amid tension between India and Pakistan over the Pulwama terror attack in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed, there are reports that Islamabad is relocating the terrorists from launchpads near the Line of Control fearing another ‘surgical strike.’ According to a Times of India report, Islamabad has been anticipating a strong action from New Delhi. Hence, it has not vacated the winter posts in the forward areas. This has happened for the first time in many years. The report also said combined with the launchpads, the real number of the Pakistani troopers across the border can’t be guessed. There are more than 50 such winter posts near the Line of Control, the report said.
The report comes after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the armed forces being given ‘free hand’ to avenge Pulwama attack. . Addressing media in New Delhi after the CCS meet, PM Modi said, “Our security forces have been given free hand. The forces behind this act of terrorism and those responsible for it, will be definitely be punished,” he said. “If our neighbour which is totally isolated in the world thinks it can destabilise India through its tactics and conspiracies, then it is making a big mistake,” PM Modi said without naming Pakistan.
“I exhort all to unite and fight against the scourge of terror. Our bravehearts put their lives on the line to achieve two things - security and development. I salute the them. 130 crore Indians will give a fitting reply to such an attack,” PM Modi said at the launch of the Vande Bharat Express.
On September 29, 2016, the Indian Army carried out surgical strikes on seven terrorist launch pads across the Line of Control (LoC) as a response to an attack on its base in Uri earlier that month. The Army had said its special forces inflicted "significant casualties" on terrorists waiting there to cross into Indian territory.
Earlier on Saturday, Home Minister Rajnath Singh reviewed the security situation in the country, particularly in Jammu and Kashmir, two days after 40 CRPF jawans lost their lives in an audacious terror attack in Pulwama. The meeting, which took place at Singh’s residence, was attended by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, RAW chief AK Dhasmana, Additional Director IB Arvind Kumar and Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba. During the meeting, top security officials briefed the home minister about the prevailing situation in the country, including along the Indo-Pak border, a Home Ministry official said. Singh had visited Srinagar on Friday to take stock of the situation in the wake of the attack on the convoy in Pulwama.